TheYakShack Forum
April 26, 2017, 03:08:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" -M.K. Gandhi

Home   Help Login Register       Price Guide Comics  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price Guide Prices  (Read 4211 times)
blythy
Calf

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »

It seems I turned up late to the party - but now I want to get involved.

This past weekend I paid a trip to the 'Making of Harry Potter' studio tour - and from there I got thinking - it would be cool to collect something Potter based.

The next day I visited the Memorabilia fair at the NEC and here I purchased a couple of Harry Potter prop cards.

I then spent an evening on  Ebay! buying more.

I came across this site a day later and now here I am  Smiley

I was wondering - how up to date the website price guide is - and also how is the market looking for these items these days? Did I miss the peak time to buy or have values gone up more in the last few years?

Has the forum still got lots of visitors coming here? I'm keen to find out more about what I have to hunt out collecting.

Cheers All.

Blythy
erevine
Cow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:51 AM »

Hi Blythy............and welcome to the forum. The Yak Shack has been around since 2003, when some wonderful people saw the need for a site for collectors, especially for Harry Potter Artbox cards, to have a place to exchange information and share there collections with other members. It has slowed over the years and many people who used to visit do not anymore. There are still a few faithful early members who still visit and occasionally the "Almight Supreme Yak" Roz visits. These have been  good friends and collector nuts. There are always new friends and collectors joining.
Unfortunately the price guides have not been keep current, due to older members who invested a lot of time finding other more important challenges in life. It is sad in a way just as Harry Potter has come to its conclusion.
       I have a sense of renewed energy from some of the newer members and prehaps it is your time to step up to the plate and help the forum expand and grow. It takes lots of hard work and dedication, along with some dollars (Pounds) to pay for the bandwidth. I would love to see a new generation get excited about this site.
        By the way there are volumes of priceless information on this website. Wishing you well.
                                                                               best regards,dave
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:52:11 AM by erevine » Logged
blythy
Calf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the welcome.  Smiley

I feel somewhat sad that I wasn't around when the buzz first started however am excited to be part of the 'New generation' of collectors getting involved in collecting the Harry Potter line.

I have already sent my ebay prices paid across to the price guide and last night won an unopened Memorable Moments Series 2 Hobby box - I am excited about the challenge of finding rare cards and getting fully involved in the hobby and this forum.

As a bit of background on me - I spend much of my time (when not doing my 9-5 job) being involved in the wrestling figure market - I have helped unearth a number of rare items including prototypes from the 'Hasbro' era over the last few years and now also pick up rarer items produced by Mattel.

The market has died down a bit recently in terms of items I want so I always like a new collecting challenge.

I'm lucky in the fact my girlfriend is understand of my collecting obessions - I think she just puts up with it so she can buy shoes and not have me moan  Grin

I'm hoping to have a good read through the forums over the weekend

Any tips and hints you can give are always appreciated.

Regards,

Ady
Audrey
Calf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »

Hi Ady and welcome to the forums!

I'm not the most knowledgable one around when it comes to cards, but I would say that there are less cards offered for sale now that most of them have gone to collections and the hype has died down quite a bit now that all the sets have been released and the movies are all done.  Though I have come across maybe one or two people offering up their entire collection due to having found other important challenges in life.

Good luck with your MM2 box and happy collecting!!

All the best,
Audrey
kbmum
Yak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »

Artbox was supposed to produce one last set, a costume and prop set for DH2.  The company didn't make the set and allowed the HP franchise to wither away without a word.  It's hard to encourage members to visit this site and post when there's nothing new to discuss.  I used to be here for hours every day; now, I come by maybe once a week and when someone sends me a PM.

The price guide is impossible to maintain without members contributing card info.  There's no way one or two people can enter most of the HP auctions on eBay.  It was one thing keeping up with auctions when the price guide began, as we had only two sets at the time (POA and POAU).  It's quite another to keep track of hundreds of cards from the 17 sets that had premium inserts.

If new or old members would like to help revive the forum, then they need to post comments and questions, and help input data in the price guide.  If anyone has questions, you can reply here or send me a PM. Smiley

When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming. " I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." - G. Stoddart   http://kbmum.tripod.com & http://kbmumcards.tripod.com
ECL
Bull

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:01:38 AM »

Welcome to the Potter card world! It's a fun thing to collect, but certainly it's not like the old days when there seemed to be new cards for sale and discovered on a daily basis. It's a shame what happened to Artbox in the end, as I was really hoping for the last set. But once in a while great cards still show up!
blackcat20
Yak Overlord
Yak

I'm a llama! Why am I a llama?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

I used to be here for hours every day; now, I come by maybe once a week and when someone sends me a PM.

Exactly; I used to be on here all day, every day, as there was plenty to chat about. These days with nothing new its kind of died a slow death unfortunately. I dont even get PMs anymore!

I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, acumenically, grammatically.

blythy
Calf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »

Thanks for all the replys Smiley

It does seem that the days of a busy forum have passed Sad

The good news is there is still a market for the cards - albeit less than before.

Some of the recent eBay auctions have gone for next to nothing whilst others a demanding big prices.

Do those of you who post on the forum still actively collect the prop cards etc and check eBay regularly to add to your collections?
kbmum
Yak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »

I no longer actively collect HP cards.  There are only a few I want (sorcerer's stone, monster book, whomping willow), but they're now well above my price range.  Every now and then, I think about selling off a lot of what I have.  I'm in one of those phases right now, but I'll probably chicken out.

When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming. " I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." - G. Stoddart   http://kbmum.tripod.com & http://kbmumcards.tripod.com
blackcat20
Yak Overlord
Yak

I'm a llama! Why am I a llama?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

Every now and then, I think about selling off a lot of what I have.  I'm in one of those phases right now, but I'll probably chicken out.

I've gradually whittled my collection down. There are a few Ill never sell, but there are a couple I consider parting with every now and then...

I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, acumenically, grammatically.

LikORish-Spider
Yak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:19 AM »

I still check. I am always looking for a good variant... who me?
Somday I may even have a collection worth bragging about.  Grin
Nienna
Yak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »

I still check. I am always looking for a good variant... who me?
Somday I may even have a collection worth bragging about.  Grin
What are you talking about!?!  Shocked
You already HAVE a collection worth bragging about!!!  Roll Eyes  Tongue Grin
You're not called 'The Variant King' for nuthin'  ROFL!

Welcome to the Yak Shack Ady!   Grin
Understanding spouses are definitely worth their weight in gold when it comes to collecting anything!  Wink
Roz
Second In Command
Supreme Almighty Yak God
Yak

2nd in command? PAH! I shall lead the revolution!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »

Welcome Blythy, it sounds like you gave yourself a baptism of fire visiting the Studios and then the Memorabilia event.

I haven't yet been to the Studios, but it's definitely on my agenda, non-HP mad folk who have visited tell me it's awesome, so I can't imagine what some of my fellow Yaks on here would make of it - Jules - have you been?

I still have most of my collection and I can't see me parting with it anytime soon, if ever, my poor descendants (should there be any) will have to decide what to do with it, much as people today face decisions on what to do with their parents/grandparents best china Smiley but I do need to have a bit of a clearout as I have a fair few duplicates and some ancillary things which take up far too much space (cards are good like this - they take up next to no space at all!).

..... and occasionally the "Almighty Supreme Yak" Roz visits.

I hasten to add that this title was always meant ironically Wink

Why's all the tea always gone?
Roz
Second In Command
Supreme Almighty Yak God
Yak

2nd in command? PAH! I shall lead the revolution!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »

And I would also like to say that thanks to the valiant efforts of Marie, the price guide is much more up to date than it used to be. Don't forget that some cards won't have been on eBay for a while. Also, if you want to drill down into the prices it gives you the dates, prices and further information on the card sold... hope this helps.

Why's all the tea always gone?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: